Climate and Clean Energy Internship Program
David Gardiner and Associates (DGA) is a small strategic advisory firm focused on climate change, renewable energy, energy efficiency, electric vehicles, and an expanded and modernized electric grid. We work with businesses, associations, institutions, and others to accelerate climate and clean energy solutions and policy. Our approach is built on a foundation of in-depth analysis and sharp strategic planning, based on our team’s decades of experience.To do this, we frequently build partnerships with business, governments, and non-profit organizations, as it is the most effective way to make change.
DGA is offering a full-time, paid 12-week internship program to undergraduates and graduate students. This is a competitive program that seeks qualified candidates with strong interest, education, or experience in climate, sustainability, and clean and renewable energy policy.
The intern will have a high-quality learning experience in a small consulting business environment. * They will work closely with all staff and principals to gain knowledge and experience in the field, bolster their professional resume, and contribute to the work and mission of the firm as a dedicated member of the DGA team.
The intern will participate with DGA staff and principals on projects addressing diverse climate and energy issues such as:
- Climate change
- Renewable energy
- Corporate sustainability
- Energy efficiency and combined heat and power
- Industrial decarbonization
- Electric vehicles
- Electricity markets and regulation
- An expanded and modernized electric grid
Interns receive in-depth experience and exposure to DGA’s expertise and clients as they work with project supervisors who provide background information, clear direction, and feedback regarding the intern’s efforts. Typical tasks include but are not limited to:
- Research and write factsheets, articles, memos, and blogs on a broad range of energy, environment, and policy issues for DGA clients
- Provide support to the communications team by drafting social media copy, blogs, and opinion pieces for DGA clients
- Aid team members by attending virtual meetings (both internal and external with key stakeholders), taking notes, and summarizing conclusions or key decisions
- Attend Congressional briefings, relevant seminars, and other D.C. events remotely and provide written briefs to staff
- Assist with additional administrative tasks and special projects as needed
- Choose to develop a larger research project alongside a DGA team member based on the intern’s area of interest (at approximately the mid-point of the internship)
The intern will be supervised by a designated team member throughout the internship which includes a two-week orientation period. The intern will work closely with the individual project managers who have assigned specific tasks.
The successful intern will possess the following qualities/skills:
- Strong academic and/or work experience in climate and energy policy and sustainability and a strong interest in and thirst-for-learning-more about the field.
- Enthusiasm for the process of finding solutions to climate and energy challenges
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Independent and self-motivated worker; eager to ask questions
- Diligence in research and high attention to detail
- Values high-quality work and importance of deadlines
- Familiarity with the U.S. political process
- Flexibility, positive attitude, and sense of humor
Internship Dates and Hours
The summer internship time period begins 6/1/2021 through 8/24/2021, and the intern is expected to work 35-40 hours per week. Interns must be available during the core DGA work hours of 9am-6pm Eastern time. A full 40-hour work week is strongly encouraged to allow for the highest quality internship experience possible. Dates and hours are negotiable with regard to academic calendar and other availability. The internship will be completely remote for the internship period. See Additional Details section below for pandemic-related information.
DGA’s selection decisions are based on applicant’s qualification, merit, and DGA’s current projects. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. As an equal opportunity employer committed to taking action for racial justice, DGA values workplace diversity and inclusion. The more inclusive we are, the better and more successful our work will be.
DGA’s office is located in Arlington, VA, and due to current pandemic-related activities, we are complying with the Commonwealth of Virginia’s “Returning to Work” guidelines as they develop. DGA prioritizes the health and safety of all employees and will continue to support our “work from home” policy at least through the summer. Therefore, this internship program will occur from the intern’s remote location where they will still be able to receive the highest quality experience possible through full online and video access to DGA staff, projects, and related activities.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 9, 2021. Early submission is recommended as applications are reviewed as they are received.
Download the full posting here.