Position Title: Senior Associate
Location: Arlington, VA
David Gardiner and Associates (DGA) is a Washington, D.C. area-based strategic advisory firm focused on climate change, clean energy, and sustainability. We specialize in working with businesses to identify and eliminate barriers standing in the way of scaling up climate and clean energy solutions. Our clients are non-profit organizations, corporations, and trade associations. We help our clients with strategic planning, research and analysis, and improved communications through our partnership building and advocacy. Our team integrates decades of practical experience across business sectors with diverse subject expertise and produces highly-tailored products to meet the specific needs of each client.
Examples of DGA work:
DGA helped launch the Renewable Thermal Collaborative (RTC), the leading coalition for organizations that are committed to scaling up renewable heating and cooling at their facilities and dramatically cutting carbon emissions. Its founding members include Mars, Procter & Gamble, Cargill, GM, Kimberly-Clark, and the City of Philadelphia.
DGA also runs the Alliance for Industrial Efficiency, a coalition of businesses and non-profit organizations advocating to expand the use of Combined Heat and Power, Waste Heat to Power, and industrial efficiency. The Alliance has issued reports highlighting the large number of manufacturers with greenhouse gas reduction goals and ranking states on their potential to reduce carbon emissions through Combined Heat and Power and industrial efficiency.
Other recent clients include Americans for a Clean Energy Grid, the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES), Energy Foundation, Environmental Defense Fund, the Retail Industry Leaders Association, and the Solar Energy Industries Association.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for research, analysis, writing, and project management, as well as other duties that will support the firm’s mission. The Senior Associate works side-by-side with executive level staff and directly with clients in the corporate and non- profit sectors. This position reports directly to the President. The Senior Associate’s projects will typically involve such issues as the impacts of energy efficiency, renewable energy and/or climate change, as well as climate change mitigation and/or adaptation efforts. The Senior Associate will work on projects for a diverse range of clients, including Fortune 500 corporations, trade associations, and leading non-profit organizations.
- Research: Develop research methodologies and gather data and information through interviews, internet searches, hard copy documents, and other primary and secondary resources.
- Analysis: Provide quantitative and qualitative analysis of primary and secondary research data. Track regulatory and policy developments in select states and disseminate this information to DGA’s networks, including members of its projects.
- Writing: Author reports, presentations, proposals, fact sheets, policy memos, testimony, public comments, blog posts, and other materials to be presented to clients, shared with select groups, and/or printed for public consumption.
- Project Management: Manage the day-to-day status and progress of projects, including time and budget management. Manage program operations for DGA’s member-based clients, including the Alliance for Industrial Efficiency (AIE), the Retail Industry Leadership Association (RILA), and the Renewable Thermal Collaborative (RTC).
- Three to five years of relevant work experience, with demonstrated working knowledge of and practical experience with climate change issues, specifically areas of energy efficiency, renewable energy, industrial efficiency, sustainability, and corporate responsibility. A graduate degree in a related field of study may substitute for up to two years of experience.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in fields such as policy, business, law or field related to climate change, clean energy, or sustainability. An advanced degree in these areas of study is preferred.
- Experience working within or managing multi-stakeholder projects is desired.
The Senior Associate should possess:
- Strong technical understanding of energy efficiency and renewable energy issues, such as industrial efficiency, renewable thermal applications, and corporate renewable energy procurement or sustainability objectives.
- Knowledge of and connections with groups/companies/organizations that can advance clean energy solutions.
- Experience developing and managing client relationships.
- Strong ability to work in a team or independently and to be proactive.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong decision-making ability and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey complex information simply to corporate leaders, policymakers, and other audiences.
- Commitment to excellent customer service and high-quality deliverables.
The Senior Associate will be compensated at an annual rate commensurate with their experience. Other benefits include health insurance, retirement, and transportation benefits, paid vacation, sick days, and paid holidays.
This position is based in Arlington, Virginia, and requires only minimal travel.
DGA’s hiring decisions are based on qualification, merit, and business need. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. As an equal opportunity employer, DGA values workplace diversity and inclusion. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
How to apply:
Please send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.