Position Title: Communications Associate
Location: Arlington, VA
David Gardiner and Associates (DGA) is a Washington, D.C. area-based strategic advisory firm focused on climate change, renewable energy, energy efficiency, electric vehicles, and an expanded and modernized electric grid. We work with businesses, associations, institutions, and others to accelerate climate and clean energy solutions and policy. Our approach is built on a foundation of in-depth analysis and sharp strategic planning, based on our team’s decades of experience. To do this, we frequently build partnerships with business, governments, and non-profit organizations, as it is the most effective way to make change.
Examples of DGA work:
DGA supports the work of Americans for a Clean Energy Grid, a non-profit advocacy coalition focused on the need to expand, integrate, and modernize the North American high-voltage grid in order to achieve a clean energy economy.
DGA helped launch the Renewable Thermal Collaborative (RTC), the leading coalition for organizations that are committed to scaling up renewable heating and cooling at their facilities and dramatically cutting carbon emissions. Its founding members include Mars, Procter & Gamble, Cargill, GM, Kimberly-Clark, and the City of Philadelphia.
DGA also collaborates on a project focused on Accelerating the Adoption of Electric Trucks and EV Charging Infrastructure to explore the landscape and outlook for electric trucks for freight movement, which could have a substantial benefit for carbon emission reductions.
Other current and recent clients include Energy Foundation, the Combined Heat and Power Alliance, the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES), Environmental Defense Fund, the Retail Industry Leaders Association, and the Solar Energy Industries Association.
As the Communications Associate, the employee is responsible for all DGA and related project and client communications to present DGA and its clients in the best possible light. The Communications Associate may also assist with research, analysis, writing, project organization, and other duties that support the firm’s mission. The Communications Associate works side-by-side with DGA executives and senior staff as an integral team member on DGA projects, and directly with clients in the corporate and non-profit sectors.
The employee will work on projects involving a wide range of issues for DGA and its clients including renewable energy, energy efficiency, electric vehicles, and an expanded and modernized electric grid, and policies to support scaling up these technologies and other climate change solutions. Current ongoing projects include work for Americans for a Clean Energy Grid (ACEG), the Combined Heat and Power Alliance, Renewable Thermal Collaborative, the Customer Renewables Initiative, and more.
This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
Communications Associate Responsibilities
- Support coalition building efforts and the development of strategic messaging
- Collaborate with other organizations, such as national and state-level communications working groups and advocacy partners, to plan and implement communications strategies
- Plan meetings and events to bring together diverse stakeholders
- Manage the initiation and implementation of communications plans and calendars
- Oversee the development of content for newsletters, webinars, and blog posts
- Develop and update, in collaboration with other DGA staff, guidance on best practices for DGA’s written products, presentations and other communications materials
Website & Social Media Management
- Manage and update multiple websites using WordPress
- Maintain, grow, and leverage value from multiple social media accounts
- Develop mailing lists and send out newsletters using Mailchimp
- Manage media lists and cultivate relationships with journalists
- Draft and amplify press releases and other client material with the press
- Provide support to staff and clients for media inquiries
- Assist in planning and implementing DGA’s marketing strategy: help plan and participate in networking and marketing events, develop marketing materials and other electronic messaging, and represent the firm well to the public
- Provide website and social media analysis for marketing input
- Provide research and editorial assistance for DGA staff
- Help manage the DGA internship program
- Bachelor’s degree required, with strong academic experience in communications and/or marketing with a focus on climate change, clean energy, or sustainability preferred
- 1-3 years of work or volunteer experience in communications and/or marketing with a focus on climate change, clean energy, or sustainability
- Demonstrable, successful track record of website management through WordPress or similar platforms, use of social media for advocacy and marketing, and marketing automation through Mailchimp or similar applications
- Familiarity with U.S. political process strongly preferred
- Diligent worker with excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing
- Entrepreneurial, problem-solving approach; detail- and deadline-driven
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others
The Communications Associate will be compensated at an annual rate commensurate with their experience. Other benefits include health insurance, retirement, and transportation benefits, paid vacation, sick days, and paid holidays.
*NOTE: This position is based in Arlington, Virginia, and requires only minimal travel under normal circumstances. As of this posting, DGA staff is working remotely and will continue to follow CDC Guidelines regarding the proper precautions recommended to keep employees, colleagues, clients, and the general community safe and healthy.
DGA’s hiring decisions are based on qualification, merit, and business need. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. As an equal opportunity employer, DGA values workplace diversity and inclusion. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
How to apply:
Please send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com no later than May 20, 2020.